Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ohhhhhhhver In Kilarney

So here's the deal, I'm a mix of a lot of different nationalities from my mom and dad's side, which is pretty sweet because I can claim a lot of different holidays and national soccer teams. I mean, if the U.S., Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Norway or Germany win the World Cup in 2010, I can officially celebrate. I guess in that sense it might be nice if I was Brazilian, but oh well. (I even have some Native American Indian in me from a few generations back, though that really does me no good because they don't have a soccer team and I can't really recall a national holiday for them, either. Maybe I'll be good at making tee-pee's when I grow up and I'll look cool with feathers on my head. (That was not a negative ethnic remark, I'm dead serious.))

But as you all know, this past Monday was St. Paddy's Day - a day to celebrate my name and my Irish heritage. So Mom and I headed across the street to Grace O'Malleys to do what the Irish do best: drink whiskey and sing. In the picture below you can see that Mom caught me smack dab at the start of the chorus to "Over In Kilarney." What you can't see are two dudes I met - Seamus and Liam - who were fantastic at improvizing in third and fifth raised harmonies. I gotta say, we sounded pretty good. By closing time, after a few too many beers, we even talked about dropping out of day care and starting a band. Seamus said he'd like to name our trio Us Three (as opposed to U2). Personally I thought that was stupid but you just can't argue with Seamus when he's on the drink.


A huge thanks to Aunt Erica for the St. Paddys Day outfit and Laura and Gina for rounding it out with the leg warmers. Cuz you know these days if you ain't got leg warmers, you just ain't that cool.

In this last photo you can see I passed out in my car seat after Mom and I slammed down a couple El Famous burritos (don't worry, Mom was the designated driver).
Stay tuned for my post later this week about my new boyfriend, Jake Crotty.

1 comment:

D.N.H. said...

"improvising in the third and fifth.." Too funny! Their rendition of "Danny Boy" must have brought a tear to your eye.

Great post. Keep 'em coming.